BENIE DES DIEUX
- Trainer: W P Mullins
- Jockey: P Townend
- Owner: Mrs S Ricci
- Age: 9
- Likely Festival Target: Undecided
- Current Price: 12/1 (Champion), 8/11 (Mares'), 2/1 (Stayers') (7th Feb)
- Season Form Figures: 1
- Cheltenham Record: 1F
- Cheltenham Festival Record: 1F
- Big-race wins: David Nicholson Mares' Hurdle (2018), Mares Champion Hurdle (2018), Grande Course de Haies d'Auteuil (2019)
“How many people groaned when she tipped up last year when having the Mares’ Hurdle in the bag? In those Rich Ricci colours, it was almost like Annie Power all over again and she was well clear and going to bolt up.
If you look at her form figures since then, she unbeaten over fences and hurdles and she is an exceptional mare. At this stage we don’t which race she or Honeysuckle will run in. It is a bit of a cat and mouse really.
If Honeysuckle goes for Champion Hurdle, then you would have thought BENIE DES DIEUX would go for the open goal in the Mares’ Hurdle, as it is another Grade 1 race and Cheltenham is all about winning.
Benie Des Dieux is versatile regarding the ground and I would be very surprised if Willie doesn’t go for the Mares’ Hurdle, in order to gain another Grade 1 success at the Festival.
What would make it even better would be if both Benie Des Dieux and Honeysuckle went for the Mares’ Hurdle then we would have some race on our hands.”
The Bottom Line
- Strong Suit
- “She is a previous Cheltenham Festival winner and is unbeaten in all completed starts.”
- Weak Spot
- “The weak spot is that we don’t know for sure if she will go for the Mares’ race.”